Read our help section to get more information about how My Plus One works
- What is My Plus One?
My Plus One allows you to meet up with vetted locals in different cities. My Plus One also recommends stylish and affordable places to stay, including hotels and apartments. We’re making travel more beneficial, affordable and fun!
- Is My Plus One safe?
All our Locals have been met in person by the My Plus One team. Many of the Locals are our personal friends or people we know. My Plus One does not conduct police checks on our Locals.
- What are the benefits of meeting a local?
Meeting a local is a great way to get up-to-date, insider knowledge about a city, and to have a more beneficial, authentic travel experience. You save time and money only seeing places that interest you and not falling in to the usual tourist traps. You can read a range of reviews from past guests on our testimonials page.
- What fees does My Plus One charge?
My Plus One charges no fee to the traveller. The traveller pays the fee for their booking directly to the local.
Guest – Account
- How do I create an account?
On the home page, click on ‘Create Guest Account’ in the top right hand corner of the screen. Then, fill in the form with as much information as possible and click on ‘Submit’. You will then receive an email from us with your username and password to access the site.
- I lost / forgot my password, what do I do?
Enter your username or email in the box at the top of this page and click ‘Reset my password’. Alternatively, feel free to contact us and we’ll send it to you.
- Can I change my password?
Yes you can change your password . Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we can do this for you.
Guest – Arranging a Meet Up
- How do I find a suitable Plus One?
You can learn more about the Locals by viewing their online profiles. Click on ‘Meet the Locals’ on the home page. Then, click on your destination city. To learn more about a Local click on ‘Read More’ in their listing. This will take you to their profile page where you can read more information about them, including images / videos, past reviews from guests, and their overall star rating.
- How do I arrange a meet up?
On the home page, click on ‘Arrange my Plus One’ in the top right hand corner of the screen. Sign in to your account with your Username and Password, or create an account. Fill in the form on the ‘Arrange my Plus One‘ page. Click on ‘Submit’ to send your account and booking information by email to all the Locals in your destination city. You will then receive ‘offers’ from the Locals in your email inbox. Please contact any of the Locals / experiences that interest you to get more details. When you have decided on a Local / experience ask them to send you a booking confirmation. Otherwise, the booking is not valid. You must arrange the details and organise payment directly with the Local (read the section ‘Payment’ to learn more about this).
Our tip: look for connected social networks, and be sure to read any reviews left by previous travellers. If their profiles are a bit bare, feel free to ask them to complete some profile verifications before making arrangements with them, or look for Locals who already have a strong reputation on the site.
- How do I respond to offers from the Locals?
You may receive multiple offers from the Locals. We recommend choosing one or two that you are most interested in, and then asking the Local for more details. Once you have decided which Local / experience you would like then ask them to send you a booking confirmation. Please make sure to only choose one Local / experience, and to tell any other Locals you are correponding with that you have chosen another offer.
Our tip: Feel free to ask the Locals any questions about themselves and / or the experience they can offer you. The more they get to know about you and what you’d like to see and do, the more likely you’ll be to get the experience you want.
- What if I receive no response from the Locals?
In the unlikely event that you receive no offers from the Locals please contact us. We will do our best to find a suitable Local for you.
Guest – Meeting my Plus One
- What if I’m late, or my Plus One is late?
If you’re late please let your Plus One know by phone or email. Make sure you have the mobile phone number for your Local so you can contact them in case this happens, or you cannot find them. Please try to be as punctual as possible.
If your Plus One is late to meet you please try and contact them by phone or email. If your Plus One is late by more than 20 minutes, or does not show up, then please contact us immediately. Any Local who regularly cancels or shows up late will be removed from the My Plus One site.
- What if I don’t like my Plus One?
All our Locals are 100% vetted, but if you feel that your Plus One is behaving inappropriately or you experience problems during your experience, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will make sure to speak to the Local and take appropriate action. You can leave a review about your Plus One after your experience, so other travellers are aware of your experience.
- I’ve offered a skill lesson as a form of payment. Should I do this during the booking, or when?
We recommend scheduling a skill lesson outside the scheduled booking time. You can do it immediately before or after the booking, or at another time convenient for you. This must be arranged and confirmed with your Plus One before the start of the booking.
Guest – Payment
- How do I pay my Plus One?
You can pay your Plus One before the booking via PayPal / bank transfer; cash in hand at the time of the booking, or in the form of a gift or skill share.
– If you’re paying via PayPal or bank transfer make sure to get your Plus One’s bank details or PayPal link and that the money is transferred before the scheduled time of the booking. Do not choose this payment method if your scheduled booking is less than three days after confirmation of the booking. Otherwise, your Plus One may not receive the money in time.
– If you’re paying in cash then make sure to have the correct amount with you when you meet your Plus One, and to give it to them at the start of the booking. If you feel awkward handing over cash contact us and we’ll send you a PDF envelope by email that you can fold and put your cash in.
– If you’re paying by cheque please make sure you have a written cheque, or have a cheque book with you. Please give the cheque to your Plus One at the start of the scheduled booking.
– If you’re paying with a gift make sure to bring the item specified in your booking enquiry with you to the scheduled booking. You can upload an image of your gift to your booking enquiry so the Locals understand clearly what it is.
– If you’re paying with a skill lesson please describe exactly what this will be and schedule a time for it with your Plus One during your trip. We recommend scheduling a skill lesson outside the scheduled booking time.
- What if I pay my Plus One by bank transfer or PayPal, and then the booking is cancelled, or they don’t show up?
Our Locals are 100% vetted and trustworthy people, but if you have paid your Plus One and they cancel or don’t show up please contact us immediately. We will make sure to contact the Local and get them to refund the payment to you. In the very unlikely event that they don’t we will refund the payment to you.
- Can I change my payment method?
We recommend that you don’t change your payment method from the one stated in your booking enquiry. If you really want to change your payment method then you must contact your Plus One by email or phone to confirm that this is OK.
- I’ve forgotten the gift. What should I do?
Contact your Plus One by phone or email to see if they will accept another payment method or gift (excluding PayPal or bank transfer). If they decline then we recommend submitting another booking enquiry to find another Plus One.
- I feel awkward paying in cash. What do you recommend?
Contact Us and we’ll send you a PDF envelope by email that you can print, fold up, and put your cash in!
Guest – Leaving a Review
- How do I leave a review about a Local?
After your experience you are welcome to leave a review about your Plus One. To do this, ask your Plus One to give you a link to access their review page. Your Plus One will be able to respond to your feedback.
- Why should I leave a review about a Local?
Reviews are written by travellers who want to share their experience and story with the community. We encourage all travellers to leave a review about their Plus One if possible, to help ensure honesty and trust on the site.
Guest – Cancelling a Booking
- How do I cancel a booking?
If you need to cancel because of illness or unforeseen circumstances you must let your Plus One know at least 48 hours before the scheduled time of the booking. If you don’t inform your Plus One, or fail to turn up without letting them know, we reserve the right to remove you from the site.
Guest – Booking Accommodation
- How do I find a place to stay?
Visit our Accommodation section to view our accommodation partners by city. All our accommodation partners have been chosen by My Plus One for their stylish, design-focused interiors and affordable nightly rates, and have been visited in person by a member of the My Plus One team.
- How do I book the accommodation?
Visit our Accommodation page to view our accommodation partners by city. Click on ‘Send Enquiry’ in the accommodation listing to send a booking enquiry to the property. A person at the accommodation will contact you to confirm the booking and take payment.
- How do I cancel or change a booking?
Please contact the accommodation by phone or email to cancel the booking.
Locals – Account
- How do I edit, or add information / images, to my online profile?
Click on Log In at the top of the home page to access your online profile. To add or edit your images or videos click on ‘Edit Images’. To edit any of your text or social media links simply edit the text in the boxes and then click on ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the page.
Our tip: Please don’t add any offensive images or information to your online profile. If you do we reserve the right to remove you from the site.
- What information should I include in my online profile?
We recommend adding as much information about yourself as possible! Please make sure you have answered the questions and uploaded one image to your album. It’s also important that you include basic information such as your interests, languages spoken and profession.
- Can I change my password?
Yes you can change your password. Log In to your account, enter the new password in the box and then click on ‘Submit’. Then change your password in your online profile and click ‘save’.
- Can I temporarily suspend my online profile so it’s not viewable?
Yes. If you are away or too busy to be an active Local then you can suspend your online profile so it is no longer visible on the site. Log In to your account, click on ‘Pause Account’ and then ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the page. You can re-activate your online profile by logging in and un-checking the box at any time.
Locals – Handling Booking Requests
- How should I respond to booking requests?
All booking requests will be sent to the email address you provided in your online application. To avoid confusion, and wasting time, we recommend following this procedure when handling booking requests:
– Reply to any booking requests that take your interest as soon as possible. To do this Log In to your online profile, scroll to the bottom of the page, and then write your ‘offer’ in the offer box. Remember to tailor your offer according to their requirements and whether they want a short or long experience. For instance, if they are interested in cafes and want a short booking then you could reply with:
- ‘Hi, my name is Clare and I love cafes and drinking coffee! I can tell you about my favourite cafés Berlin and create a little list for you so you know the best cafes to visit whilst you’re here’
– Whereas if they are interested in cafes and want a long booking you could reply with:
- ‘Hi, my name is Clare and I love cafes and coffee drinking! I can take you to a few of my favourite cafes in Neukoelln and Kreuzberg, many which are very small and hidden. I’ll also introduce you to my friend Gustaf who can show you around his café and give you more insight in to the coffee making process.’
If you’re doing something with friends then make sure to specify this in your offer e.g. ‘Hi, my name is Clare and me and two friends are going for dinner and then to a great bar on Friday night. You’re welcome to join!’
– The guest will reply to your offer if they are intersted. Then, you can give them more details. Do not spend too much time doing this or arrange specific details with the traveller until they have confirmed the booking with you. To confirm the booking Log In to your online profile, scroll to the bottom of the page and then write the details in the Confirmation box.
– Once the booking is confirmed then you can arrange the details and payment. Please refer to the payment section for information about how to take payment. Make sure to arrange a good meeting point which is specific, easy to find and not too crowded e.g. “In front of the Dolly Café, address Reuterstrasse 30, 12047 Berlin)” is better than “in Hermannplatz”. Describe what you look like, or give something that will identify you. Put the time, date and meeting spot in to a final email, along with your mobile phone number. Read ‘How should I prepare for the meet up?’ to get more information about how to prepare for the booking.
- What if I need to cancel the meet up?
Please let the traveller know as soon as possible by phone or email and try and schedule an alternative time. Please email us on email@example.com, or copy us in to your email correspondence, so we are aware of the situation. If you cannot find an alternative time to meet the traveller then we may have to find another Local to take the booking.
Locals – Meeting the traveller
- How should I prepare for the meet up?
– Get a mobile phone number from the traveller so you can call them in case you are running late, or you have to re-schedule last minute.
– Give the traveller information about what they should wear or bring along for the experience e.g. if you are going to a restaurant for dinner, or for a night out, tell them how much cash they might need for drinks, club entrance etc.
– Check the weather and have a back-up plan if needed.
– Check the places you are going to are open, and that you have made any reservations if needed.
– If you are meeting the traveller with friends, make sure that everyone in the group is aware that a traveller is joining you, and that they should behave appropriately. Please make sure that the traveller feels part of your group, rather than excluded by it.
- Should I pay for anything for the traveller?
No. The traveller must pay for all their expenses during the booking e.g. drinks, museum entrance. If you want to buy a drink for the traveller (or vice versa) then that’s fine.
- What if I can’t find the traveller?
Contact the traveller by phone to find out where they are. You can find all their contact details in their booking enquiry form. If you don’t hear anything from the traveller, or they don’t show up for the booking, then contact us. We will try and get in touch with them and, if necessary, remove them from the site.
- What if I’m late, or the traveller is late?
Please try and be as punctual as possible. However, if you are running late we suggest calling or sending a text to the traveller to let them know. If you are more than 20 minutes late, or need to cancel in an emergency, then please let the traveller know and try and re-schedule the booking. Please note that if you are regularly late, or cancel bookings, we may remove you from the My Plus One site.
If the traveller is late then contact them to make sure that everything is ok and they can still meet up. If they can’t, try and re-schedule the booking.
Locals – Payment
- How do I get paid?
– If the traveller has chosen ‘PayPal’ or ‘Bank Transfer’ as a form of payment then make sure to send them a PayPal link or your bank details. We recommend that you create a PayPal account so you can accept PayPal bookings. Please make sure that you have received payment before the scheduled time of the booking. If you have not received payment up to 12 hours before the scheduled time of the booking then you have the right to cancel the booking. To do this, contact the traveller by phone or email to let them know.
– If the traveller has chosen ‘cash in hand’ or ‘cheque’ for payment then make sure to get the cash or cheque at the start of the booking, and not at the end.
– If the traveller has chosen ‘gift’ for payment then make sure to get the gift at the start of the booking, and not at the end.
– If the traveller has chosen ‘skill share’ for payment then make sure to clarify with them exactly what this will include, and then schedule the lesson for another time during their visit. We recommend scheduling it directly before or after the scheduled time of the booking.
- I’ve met up with the traveller and they don’t have the gift or cash they offered. What do I do?
If a traveller turns up to a booking without the gift, or does not attend the skill share lesson you confirmed with them, then you have the right to cancel the booking, and contact us to report them. We will remove the traveller from the site.
- I feel awkward accepting cash as a form of payment. What do you recommend?
Tell them to contact us and we will send them a PDF envelope by email to put the money in.
Locals – Reviews
- How can my Plus One leave a review about me?
We recommend that after your booking you invite the traveller to leave a review about you and their experience. To do this, please Log In to your online profile, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Invite the Guest to leave feedback about you’. Write the email address of the Guest in the box and click on ‘Submit’. This helps build up your reputation on the site, and increases your chance of getting future bookings.
- What if I get a bad review?
We encourage you to take their feedback on board, and learn from it. We make sure to keep the reviews 100% real, so everything a traveller writes will be displayed on your profile page. We recommend responding to their feedback, or reaching out to them by phone or email to see how you can improve the experience.
- Can I leave a review about a Traveller?
Yes you can respond to a review and leave feedback about the traveller. This will be shown in your online profile.
My Plus One